Saturday, January 14, 2012

I Think I'm Jealous of an Eight Year Old!

Yes, it's true, I am jealous of an 8 year old girl...and for more than one reason.  Every day this week (yes all 5 school days) Andrew and I made it on time (which means 7AM) to run the morning mile at his school.  He likes to do it and is building up his miles for the 5 Points of Life Kids Marathon coming up in Feb.  I figured that it would be a great way to get in my daily cardio and "homework" from Dan.  We were really good about doing it when he was in Kindergarten and up until I was a week overdue with Samantha in 1st grade.  We weren't so good about getting in the swing of things for the second half of last year and the first part of this year.  Our attendance has been "spotty" to say the least.  Things have gone well, it feels great to get out there and start my day knowing that I've gotten at least that much exercise done for the day.  I walk/run it trying to run a little more each day.  Here is where the 8 year old girl comes into play.  There is this sweet, cute little 8 year old girl who has the cardiovascular endurance I would kill for!  I mean, she runs circles around me, seriously.  Each time she smiles as she passes me and says "Hi, Ms April" with her blond hair swinging behind her.  Sighhhh...I so wish I could run like that, so effortlessly! I mean she isn't huffing and breathing like an obscene phone call or red in the face and sweating!  She just glides on by.  Oh, the second reason I'm jealous of her you ask?  Well, because she holds my son's attention a lot longer that I can!!  Yes, it's hard for me to accept, but my little "mama's boy" who, up until about a year ago, wouldn't go to sleep unless mommy was home to tuck him in, now wants to spread his wings a little further that mom would like.  I realize that this is normal and healthy behavior, but I was not prepared for it.  Gone are the days he wants me to walk with him and hold his hand.  Instead, he's mentioned that I could "just drop him off if I wanted to."  He IS being supportive of my Biggest Weight Loss Challenge though.  I told him I needed to do the mile every day too, for my training.  So he checks in on me (as he laps me, of course) to see how many laps I've gotten and reminds me that I need to eat salad all the time.  Hey, I'll take what I can get!

http://www.gigglemag.com/
http://www.sweatlifefitness.com/

2 comments:

  1. Awwww.....April, this makes me sad. I mean, about a girl holding his attention longer than you. Thankfully, my 9 year old isn't like that. He's into girls and has asked one girl to be his girlfriend since we've lived here, but even when we see her out and about he doesn't give her all his attention. Actually, I usually have to say "you should say Hi, you know". LOL

    You always hear that you wish then that what you know now and it's so true. I wish I could have done my jumping jacks better. I wish I would have gotten into sports. I wish I would have tried harder to watch what I ate when I was younger and especially when I was pregnant.

    One day you will be running with your son and not "with" your son as he's passing you!

    Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous of her, too. I am not a runner at all, never was, but also wish I could just effortlessly glide through a few miles a day! Chin up, Lady, that little girl could easily be a participant in the Big Weight Loss Challenge 25!! We don't stay 8 forever!!

    ReplyDelete